Raffles Programme, good or bad??
In a way I am thankful that I am in RP. But then again, the more I look at the different aspects of RP, the more I think that it sucks. I mean, ok, the good thing about it for me is that I don’t have to take O levels. Because frankly, if I were to take O levels, I would probly screw it up super big time, because I simply cannot do well in exams or tests for certain subjects no matter how hard I try, and I have no idea why (I probly will get F9 for Math or something).
But I think RP is flawed. We have so much work to do, way more than what we can cope with, and everything is counted, so we cannot afford to screw up anything. What results? Constant copying. The teachers always complain that we always copy our assignments. But who made us do it? If we did not have as much work as we did, do you think we have to copy? I mean, come on, do the teachers not think that we do not know that copying is bad? They think we stupid or what? It’s just that we do not have the capability to finish it within the time given. The teachers need to understand that there are some people, like a lot of the overseas scholars, who do not go for CCA trainings. They are the ones who have the time to do the work. Whereas the rest of the people, especially the sportsmen, are so tired when they reach home after every training that they don’t even feel like doing anything, and just sleep.
And the whole concept of Common Class Tests (CCT) is just screwed up. I mean like, so class tests now are all taken at a common time slot. What difference then, is there between Common Tests (CT) and CCT? There isn’t a damned difference?! The only thing different is that there are lesser topics. But everything else is still the same; we have to separate our tables etc. After the test, a lot of people from different classes would be discussing the paper. It just doesn’t feel right. The main purpose of this is to prevent the leaking of questions right? But then again, even if questions are leaked, the person still has to go home and study the answers for the questions what!! We still have to study whatever the case!! Ok this argument sounds quite dumb but I think Manquan and Choonwing wrote about this also, so maybe you will want to refer to their blogs.
Now I’m gonna spam Chem. Our Chem teacher (I shan’t say who if not I’ll die if she googles herself), is pretty unreasonable. I mean like, she’s pretty much of a tyrant kinda thing. It’s like, if she arranges for lessons with you, whether make-up or remedial (which I thankfully do not have), she expects you to turn up for her lesson no matter what, even if you may already have other appointments. It’s like you cannot skip her class but yet you can skip everything else in the world. It just doesn’t seem right.
Then some more got Chem test next week, and she expected us to have revised our work. She kept emphasizing on the fact that she already told us in week 1, then when I told her she haven’t teach finish, she say she taught finish in week 5. But come on la, by week 5 already all the tests start coming in, does she really think that we have time to study Chem? This does not apply to Chem alone, but why does every teacher seem to think that their subject is the only subject that we have and that we have to devote so much of our time to the subject?
Then some more now Chem take-home assignments are not counted anymore, because they cited the reason of copying blablabla. Wah lao then why I bother doing the assignment for? Since it’s not counted I hand in blank paper also can what. It’s meant to be ‘practice’, but it’s like, there’s still a deadline for this piece of ‘practice’, and really, there is already so much work that are counted, who would actually do the ‘practice’ when they cannot finish their graded assignments? Now class-assignments are the ones graded, and they are like mini pop quizzes kinda thing, which I think totally sucks. It’s like, now you cannot even afford to slack off a minute for Chem, because everything that is counted is done in class and if u screw up, u die, simple as that.
I think the only way a person can really cope with RP, what with all the mini-projects and stuff, is to have almost no play time at all. Where does that leave that person? A person with no life. Is that what RP is trying to turn us into, albeit subconsciously? I don’t know.
Ok I know this is damn damn long, but then I just wanted to write my views about RP as a whole, being part of the pioneer batch. Cheers.